The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the US Government or the Peace Corps

Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Quick Update

So I think a short update is warrented today. I learned that I was elected to be the Mbeya Region VAC (Volunteer Advisory Council) representative for the coming year. It's not much of a burden, requiring a few trips to Dar over my service but I'm excited to represent other volunteers in a meaningful way, solving real issues that arise in the field. I would not consider myself the kind of person that goes out and takes leadership roles but I do enjoy being in a position to enact change (when warrented of course!) and improve people's lives, even in small ways. I suppose that's true of all of us here in country, as why would anyone come without the intention of helping those here? Regardless, it's a position I'm looking forward to :)

Speaking of doing little things, I've spent this week organizing and taking inventory in the library. My enthusiasm for the project comes and goes but I find myself enjoying it when I'm in the room. I've come to realize many of the issues with the system in place are just a lack of concern for organization. I know when I was a kid, the parental requests for cleaning and organizing didn't really seem worth it, but as I got older I found myself wanting a clean organized space, especially with information. Now it seems almost ridiculous to ever be so disorganized. Things don't have to be super available but at least know generally where they are so you can get to them if you need. Anyway, things are going well and I'm taking stock of what's available. The actual moving should be happening soon (in Tanzanian terms so within the month). I'm trying to take a long term approach to this and see what it will be like 5 years after I leave, but we'll see what happens. I'm a little concerned I'm getting dangerously close to the giving something and someone take care of it rather than having them build it and see it as something they have to work for. Well for now, it's going well!

That's all for now, I hope things are going well!

No comments:

Post a Comment